Friday, January 18, 2013

Homemade Vanilla

This year one of my resolutions is to make more stuff in my home and life from scratch. I want to have more control over what we are putting into our body, and I get great satisfaction from creating things that I would normally buy.  Plus, homemade usually tastes and works better, in my opinion. I am a very busy person so I have set my minimum goal at one new thing from scratch per month. I am hoping that I will accomplish much more than one a month, but I know that it is a reasonable goal for my current lifestyle and demands on my time. 

For my first project of the year, I am making vanilla extract! Vanilla is so expensive, if I can make it at home for a fraction of the cost and have it be pure, that sounds perfect for me. It is a great launching point because it is relatively simple and low maintenance. I will update you on how it is going later on in the year. The longer it sits, the better it gets (or so I am told). When my vanilla has matured and become usable, I will post the recipe and steps I took. I don't want to share it until I am sure of the results. Wish me luck on this homemade journey I am taking this year, I look forward to sharing it with you! :)



January Homemade = Vanilla Extract

For some reason this will only post sideways.
This is a sort of before and after shot.
One full day has passed since I started making
my own vanilla extract and look at the incredible
change in color already! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment