Friday, August 10, 2012

Tantalizing Tortillas


I love flour tortillas. I enjoy them as a snack; just heat it up, lather it in butter and I am in my own kind of heaven. I love the versatility of a tortilla, how it can become a vessel for so many scrumptious concoctions: burritos, tacos, chips, quesadillas, enchiladas, flautas or wherever your imagination will take you. The other day I had quite the hankering for a tortilla, but alas; there was not a tortilla to be found in the house. After accepting my bitter disappointment, I decided to do something about it instead of just wallowing in my tortillaless state. My solution? Make my own! They turned out pretty fantastic, even if they weren't the perfect circles we get in the packages. I am sure if I had a tortilla press, they would have turned out a little more uniform; considering I did it by hand, I think they turned out pretty dang good. :) Next time you need tortillas don't buy them, make them!!!





A little misshapen but I think it looks good!
Flour Tortillas
4 cups all-purpose flour 
1 teaspoon salt 
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons shortening
1 1/2 cups water

 Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. 
Mix in the shortening with your fingers until mix resembles cornmeal. 
Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic. 
Divide the dough into 8-12(Depends on the size you want) equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. 
Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla. Or a tortilla press if you have one! I also tried flattening it with a heavy cast iron pan.
Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side. 
Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer; while you finish making the rest of them. 
I stuffed my tortilla with shredded pork, cheddar cheese and dipped it in sour cream. Delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment