Friday, October 5, 2012

The Rolodoodle

One of my all-time favorite cookies are Snickerdoodles. I feel that they are already at the pinnacle of perfection, but I always like to strive to make something wonderful even better. Recently, I was experimenting and decided to bake a special surprise into the middle of this already incredible cookie. A rolo took this cookie to new heights and my tastebuds on a tantalizing thrill-ride. I baked a rollo into the middle of my normal snickerdoodles, to create a pocket of chocolate caramel magic. They received pretty rave reviews from my test subjects (aka my family), so I decided to share the idea and recipe for them on my blog. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

Rolodoodles

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1 bag of rolos
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Teaspoons cinnamon

Cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix on high for 1-2 minutes.
In another bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate dough for at least an hour. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar. Take the dough from the refrigerator and scoop out one tablespoon(or whatever size you want your cookie to be) of dough, flatten it into a disk and place the rollo in the center. Then, roll the dough into a ball so that the rolo is completely covered. After it is in a ball roll it in the cinnamon-sugar mixture until evenly coated, and place on an ungreased cookie sheet about an inch apart. Bake for 10-16 minutes(depending on the size of the cookie), or until the edges get a slight golden brown.

My little baking helper!

No comments:

Post a Comment